The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) is leading a project to establish a policy and development agenda around workflow automation through the use of modern computing. ONC will use the outputs from this project to develop and implement effective policy through ONC authorities and public and private sector partners.
The Health IT Workflow Policy Development Project will:
- Identify opportunities for automation in health care, in both clinical and administrative areas
- Explore what would need to be instrumented to enable such automation
- Explore the need for new and/or updated workflows
- Introduce perspectives from other industries, such as finance, hospitality, and manufacturing
- Identify labor-intensive parts of health care
In September 2020, ONC convened a multidisciplinary workshop of experts across various industries to inform a policy and development agenda to accelerate workflow automation in health care.
In 2021, ONC will publish an agenda for advancing this topic and recommendations for policy and development efforts in this field.
Panel Presentation on Automation Initiatives
At the workshop, invited speakers from Kaiser Permanente shared examples and lessons learned from automation initiatives across a number of its clinical and administrative domains. View the video of this presentation.