The Leading Edge Acceleration Projects (LEAP) in Health IT funding opportunity will address well-documented and fast emerging challenges that inhibit the development, use, and/or advancement of well-designed, interoperable health IT. It is expected to further a new generation of health IT development and inform the innovative implementation and refinement of standards, methods, and techniques for overcoming major barriers and challenges as they are identified.
New Areas of Funding
ONC will be awarding two new awards for up to $1 million per award in fiscal year 2019 to address the standardization of patient information for seamless access, exchange, and use under the Leading Edge Acceleration Projects (LEAP) in Health Information Technology (IT) funding opportunity (NAP-AX-18-003).
Under this Special Emphasis Notice (SEN) for fiscal year 2019, ONC is particularly interested in applications whose specific aims addresses one of the following areas of interest:
- Area 1: Standardization and Implementation of Scalable Health Level 7 International’s (HL7®) Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR®) Consent Resource
- Area 2: Design, Develop, and Demonstrate Enhanced Patient Engagement Technologies for Care and Research
An informational session was held on Tuesday, April 2, 2019. View recording of the informational session
Past Areas of Interest
In fiscal year 2018, this funding opportunity was specifically interested in innovative solutions and breakthrough advances in the following areas of interest:
Area 1: Expanding the scope, scale, and utility of population-level data-focused application programming interfaces (APIs)
- Most importantly, reducing provider burdens associated with reporting through this technology;
- Investigating and assessing trade-offs associated with various big data formats; and
- Challenges to the scope and scale of FHIR-based APIs for these purposes.
Area 2: Advancing clinical knowledge at the point of care
- Emerging innovations in clinical medicine;
- Data-driven medicine infrastructure;
- Integrating knowledge at point of care; and
- Legal and policy implications for innovative approaches
This funding opportunity will have a 3-year open application period. ONC may issue future awards under this NOFO to other eligible applicants for future priority areas of interest. This will be contingent on the availability of funds and ONC priorities in fiscal year 2020. Please check back for updates pertaining to the status of LEAP.
Past Informational Session
An informational session was held on Thursday, July 12, 2018. A video recording of the informational session is available below.