The LEAP in Health IT funding opportunity will address well-documented and fast emerging challenges that inhibit the development, use, and/or advancement of well-designed, interoperable health IT. It is expected to further a new generation of health IT development and inform the innovative implementation and refinement of standards, methods, and techniques for overcoming major barriers and challenges as they are identified.
In fiscal year 2018, this funding opportunity was specifically interested in innovative solutions and breakthrough advances in the following areas of interest:
- Area 1: Expanding the scope, scale, and utility of population-level data-focused application programming interfaces (APIs)
- Most importantly, reducing provider burdens associated with reporting through this technology;
- Investigating and assessing trade-offs associated with various big data formats; and
- Challenges to the scope and scale of FHIR-based APIs for these purposes.
- Area 2: Advancing clinical knowledge at the point of care
- Emerging innovations in clinical medicine;
- Data-driven medicine infrastructure;
- Integrating knowledge at point of care; and
- Legal and policy implications for innovative approaches
This funding opportunity will have a 3-year open application period. ONC may issue future awards under this NOFO to other eligible applicants for future priority areas of interest. This will be contingent on the availability of funds and ONC priorities in fiscal years 2019 and 2020. Please check back for updates pertaining to the status of LEAP.
An info session was held on Thursday, July 12, 2018. A video recording of the informational session is available below.