The Leading Edge Acceleration Projects (LEAP) in Health IT funding opportunity will address well-documented and fast emerging challenges that inhibit the development, use, and/or advancement of well-designed, interoperable health IT. It is expected to further a new generation of health IT development and inform the innovative implementation and refinement of standards, methods, and techniques for overcoming major barriers and challenges as they are identified.
FY 2021 Special Emphasis Notice (SEN)
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) has published a special emphasis notice (SEN) under the Leading Edge Acceleration Projects (LEAP) in Health Information Technology (Health IT) funding opportunity NAP-AX-18-003. The goal of the funding opportunity is to advance health IT standards and tools to improve social determinants of health data exchange and research, and to develop tools for making electronic health record (EHR) data for research and artificial intelligence (AI)-ready.
In fiscal year 2021, ONC is particularly interested in applications whose specific aims addresses one of the following areas of interest:
- Area 1: Referral Management to Address Social Determinants of Health Aligned with Clinical Care
- Area 2: Health IT Tools to Make Electronic Health Records (EHR) Data Research – and Artificial Intelligence (AI)-Ready
Special Emphasis Notice
Past Areas of Interest
In fiscal year 2020, an SEN asked for applications whose specific aims addressed one of the following areas of interest:
- Area 1: Advancing Registry Infrastructure for a Modern API-based Health IT Ecosystem
- Area 2: Cutting Edge Health IT Tools for Scaling Health Research
- Area 3: Integrating Health Care and Human Services Data to Support Improved Outcomes
- View the full Special Emphasis Notice [PDF- 264 KB]
- View recording of informational session
- View session slides from informational session [PDF - 12 MB]
In fiscal year 2019, a Special Emphasis Notice (SEN) asked for applications whose specific aims addressed one of the following areas of interest:
- Area 1: Standardization and Implementation of Scalable Health Level 7 International’s (HL7®) Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR®) Consent Resource
- Area 2: Design, Develop, and Demonstrate Enhanced Patient Engagement Technologies for Care and Research
In fiscal year 2018, this funding opportunity was specifically interested in innovative solutions and breakthrough advances in the following areas of interest:
- Area 1: Expanding the scope, scale, and utility of population-level data-focused application programming interfaces (APIs).
- Area 2: Advancing Clinical Knowledge at the Point of Care.