Health IT solutions have the potential to make your practice run more effectively and efficiently. In many cases, the implementation process plays a major role in realizing these benefits. Implementing a new system takes time and effort, but the tools and resources described in this section can help you make the transition as smooth as possible.
12.1 Find technical assistance options
If you’re planning a health IT transformation for your practice, you may need technical help. You’ll find it at the Practice Transformation Support for Clinicians website. This invaluable tool provides a state-by-state listing of federally funded technical assistance to support clinicians in various transformation activities — including resources for the following programs:
- Advance Interoperable Health Information Technology Services to Support Health Information Exchange
- Community-based Care Transitions Program
- Health IT Regional Extension Centers Program
- Hospital Engagement Network
- Quality Improvement Organization/Quality Improvement Network
- Transforming Clinical Practices Initiative
12.2 Explore Health IT training resources
The Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) has developed free training materials for all health care workers through its Workforce Development Program.
ONC grantees updated and created new health IT training materials to incorporate modern care-delivery processes and emerging health IT trends. Updated material focuses on 5 areas:
- Population health
- Care coordination
- Value-based payment and new care delivery models
- Health care data analytics
- Patient-centered care
Through the program, approximately 6,000 health care workers have been trained to use new health information technologies in a variety of settings including:
- Team-based care environment
- Long-term care facilities
- Patient-centered medical homes
- Accountable care organizations
- Hospitals and clinics
Additional information on health IT training is listed below.
Select one of the links below to register today!
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
Care coordination and interoperability of health IT systems, health care data analytics, patient-centered care, population-health management, and value-based care purchasing
Columbia University HI-FIVE (Health Informatics For Innovation, Value, and Enrichment) Program
Population health, care coordination, interoperability, value-based care, health care data analytics, and patient-centered care
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Population health, value-based care, data analytics, and care coordination
AMA Digital Health Implementation Playbook
The AMA Digital Health Implementation Playbook lays out an efficient path to implementing new digital health solutions, including remote patient monitoring. The Playbook lists 12 steps, each with goals to achieve before moving on to the next step.
In addition, you’ll also find:
- Quick tips to help you proceed through the steps effectively
- Advice for avoiding missteps
- Guides and forms to help you organize ideas and plans
- Real examples of practices using digital health solutions
Section 12 Recap
Get support for your practice’s health IT transformation.
- Take advantage of technical assistance options
- Explore health IT training resources