Managing Change to Improve Efficiency and Save Time
The introduction of an electronic health record (EHR) into a practice presents great operational challenges as well as opportunities to improve patient care and organizational efficiency. EHR implementation requires time and commitment, and time savings will not come automatically. With organizational commitment to EHR implementation and workflow redesign, your organization can use EHRs to improve efficiency and save time. With EHRs, your organization can:
- Spend less time “chasing charts,” as all of your patient records are available in an accessible location to all appropriate staff
- Save time and reduce denied claims with automated insurance coverage formulary and pre-authorization checks
- Build templates for frequently used forms, such as school health forms, so you can complete the forms quickly and easily
- Store and pre-fill frequently used information, so you do not need to reenter information into patient charts
- Securely manage and store data, making remote retrieval of patient information and disaster recovery easier
- Create time savings with easier centralized chart management, condition- and prescription-specific queries, and other shortcuts
Achieving Meaningful Use
One of the best ways to ensure you take full advantage of the benefits of electronic health records and save time is to achieve meaningful use. Meaningfully using an EHR will help you implement the EHR features and workflow changes required to maximize your organization’s time savings.
Your Local Regional Extension Center Can Help
Your local Regional Extension Center (REC) can help you use your EHR to improve efficiency, save time, and realize the benefits of electronic health records. RECs are located in every region of the country to help health care providers select, implement, and become adept and meaningful users of EHRs. Contact your local REC to find out if you are eligible for free or reduced-price support.