Selecting an EHR System
Before you begin the process of selecting an electronic health record (EHR) system, you should build an EHR selection committee. Your EHR selection committee will be tasked with:
- Assessing your organization’s needs and narrowing the list of EHR vendors
- Attending vendor selection site visits
- Conducting vendor demonstrations to “test-drive” different EHR systems
- Deciding which EHR system is right for your organization
The EHR Selection Committee
Your EHR selection committee can make or break the EHR implementation process. Members of your EHR selection committee should:
- Bring differing perspectives on how the EHR will be used
- Possess a wide array of skills and knowledge
- Include someone from each department in your organization (including the administration, billing, and clinical departments) as well as your EHR implementation team leader
- Consist of true end users and not just personnel who make IT purchasing decisions
Once you establish your EHR selection committee, you can begin the process of selecting an EHR system.
For More Information
For more information about selecting an EHR system, see the following resources.