ONC Releases Funds for Innovative Health Information Exchange Solutions
Claudia Williams | December 6, 2010
Last Friday ONC announced over $16 million in new funding for breakthrough innovations for health information exchange (HIE). The HIE Challenge Grant Program will provide $1 to $2 million awards to State HIE Cooperative Agreement Program grantees to develop solutions in five key areas:
- Achieving health goals through health information exchange
- Improving long-term and post-acute care transitions
- Consumer-mediated information exchange
- Enabling enhanced query for patient care
- Fostering distributed population-level analytics
This is truly an exciting opportunity. In each of the five challenge areas we hope to discover which approaches work, and which do not. Successful strategies will be shared with other states and communities to increase nationwide interoperability and reach our goals of improved health and health care.
For more information, see the Funding Opportunity Announcement.