Health IT can be used to support the safe and effective health care of children. In response to the requirements set forth in section 4001 of the Cures Act, ONC has:
- Developed ten recommendations for the voluntary certification of health IT for pediatric care that does NOT include a separate certification program for pediatric care and practice settings.
- Identified relevant certification Program criteria (referred to as the 2015 Edition Cures Update, which is inclusive of both the 2015 Edition Certification Criteria and the 2015 Edition Cures Update criteria).
- Focused on non-regulatory initiatives that are nimble and responsive to stakeholders, including development of informational resources [PDF - 464 KB] to support setting-specific implementation that aligns with the ONC Health IT Certification Program.
This content on pediatric health IT compiles relevant documents as part of ONC’s final rulemaking to improve the interoperability of health information, including recommendations for pediatric health IT voluntary certification criteria.
- The Health IT for Pediatric Care and Practice Settings fact sheet [PDF - 241 KB] summarizes ONC’s response to requirements set forth in the Cures Act to support multiple care and practice settings, including the pediatric care and practice settings.
- The ONC Pediatric Health Information Technology: Developer Informational Resource [PDF - 464 KB] is part of ONC’s non-regulatory initiative to inform the technical and implementation specifications for developers of health IT products used by clinicians that provide healthcare for children.
- The ONC Approach and Stakeholder Opportunities for Advancing Health IT across the Care Continuum tip sheet [PDF- 161 KB] illustrates of our approach working on pediatric health IT.
- In preparation for the Cures Act proposed rule, ONC sought input from a wide range of stakeholders and conducted an analysis of technical components and standards within the certification program to support voluntary certification of health IT for pediatric care. View the Pediatric Technical Worksheets [PDF - 500 KB] to find out more.
View the ONC 21st Century Cures Act Proposed Rule including pediatric health IT archived information here. View the ONC Interoperability Standards Advisory (ISA) pediatric content.
Read the latest blog post on ONC's Pediatric Health IT Efforts
- Vital Signs, BMI, and Growth Charts: 80 FR 62682
- CCDS Vital signs including optional reference range/growth curve for three pediatric vital signs: 80 FR 62695
- Requirement of health IT limit a user’s ability to electronically prescribe oral, liquid medications in only metric: 80 FR 62643
- Types of Care and Practice Settings: 80 FR 62704