Health IT can be used to support the safe and effective health care of children. In response to the requirements set forth in section 4001 of the Cures Act, ONC has:
- Developed ten recommendations for the voluntary certification of health IT for pediatric care that does NOT include a separate certification program for pediatric care and practice settings.
- Identified relevant certification Program criteria (referred to as the 2015 Edition Cures Update, which is inclusive of both the 2015 Edition Certification Criteria and the 2015 Edition Cures Update criteria).
- Focused on non-regulatory initiatives that are nimble and responsive to stakeholders, including development of informational resources to support setting-specific implementation that aligns with the ONC Health IT Certification Program.
This content on pediatric health IT compiles relevant documents as part of ONC’s final rulemaking to improve the interoperability of health information, including recommendations for pediatric health IT voluntary certification criteria.
The Health IT for Pediatric Care and Practice Settings fact sheet [PDF - 241 KB] summarizes ONC’s response to requirements set forth in the Cures Act to support multiple care and practice settings, including the pediatric care and practice settings.
The ONC Pediatric Health Information Technology: Developer Informational Resource [PDF - 594 KB] is part of ONC’s non-regulatory initiative to inform the technical and implementation specifications for developers of health IT products used by clinicians that provide healthcare for children. View the interactive version [PDF - 725 KB].
The ONC Pediatric Health Information Technology: Pediatric Healthcare Provider Informational Resource [PDF - 1.01 MB] complements the Developer IR and is also intended to help healthcare providers work with their health IT developers. View the interactive version [PDF - 1.2 MB].
- View the final ONC 21st Century Cures Act Rule
- View the ONC 21st Century Cures Act Proposed Rule including pediatric health IT archived information and the Pediatric Technical Worksheets [PDF - 464 KB].
- View the ONC Interoperability Standards Advisory (ISA) pediatric content.
- Read the latest blog post on ONC's Pediatric Health IT Efforts
- Vital Signs, BMI, and Growth Charts: 80 FR 62682
- CCDS Vital signs including optional reference range/growth curve for three pediatric vital signs: 80 FR 62695
- Requirement of health IT limit a user’s ability to electronically prescribe oral, liquid medications in only metric: 80 FR 62643
- Types of Care and Practice Settings: 80 FR 62704