Social determinants of health (SDOH) are the conditions in which people live, learn, work, and play and affect a wide range of health risks and outcomes. An integral part of health care delivery involves understanding these social and environmental factors of patients’ lives outside of the health care system.
The capture of SDOH data offers information that can help with understanding the various factors at an individual, community, and population level to help improve care. The Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC) is consistently working to help make healthcare safer, more effective, and more convenient which includes supporting standardized collection and interoperable sharing of SDOH data. The areas in which ONC supports collecting and sharing SDOH data are standards and certification, policy, and coordination across agencies and various stakeholders.
HHS and SDOH Health IT Standards Activities
- Innovative Technology Solutions for Social Care Referrals Challenge Grant (ACL)
- Electronic Long-Term Services & Supports (ONC and CMS)
- Advancing Standards for Precision Medicine (ONC and NIH)
- Multiple Chronic Conditions eCare Plan Project (Administration for Health Research and Quality (AHRQ) and National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK))
- Bidirectional Services electronic Referral (BSeR) (CDC)
HHS and SDOH Activities
- HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary of Health
- HHS Administration for Community Living (ACL)
- HHS Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- HHS Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- HHS Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Office of Minority Health (OMH)
- HHS Office of the Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- HHS Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE)
- HHS National Library of Medicine (NLM)
- HHS Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- HHS National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Standards Development Organization SDOH Activity
Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, Inc. (HIMSS)
SDOH Stakeholders interested in submitting new data elements and classes for The United States Core for Data Interoperability (USCDI) please visit the ONC New Data Element and Class (ONDEC) page.