Sheryl Turney, MEd
Director II, Technology, EDA, Data & Interoperability, Carelon Digital Platforms
HITAC Member Terms:
Term 1: 1/2018 – 12/2020
Term 2: 1/2021 – 12/2023
Sheryl Turney is a Director II Technology within Elevance Health, Inc. She is the enterprise subject matter expert in APCD (All Payer Claims Data), health data sharing and Interoperability. In her role she is also responsible for administering Elevance Health’s Data Use and Release policy and has held leadership roles in the acquisition and use of clinical health data. Ms. Turney has represented Elevance Health on multiple state Health Information Technology workgroups as an integral part of the Elevance Health’s support of the State Innovation Model efforts.
Ms. Turney represents Elevance Health working with external stakeholders associated with NAHDO (National Association of Health Data Organizers), AHIP (American Health Insurance Plans), the Confidentiality Coalition and the NCVHS. Ms. Turney represents Elevance Health on the VHI (Virginia Health Information) APCD Advisory council, the CT APCD Data release committee and in the past, various other APCD work groups including: MA CHIA (Center for Health Information & Analysis), CO CIVHC (Center for Improving Value in Health Care), NY APD, CT Access Health CT, CA CHPI (California Health Performance Information System), ME MHDO (Maine Health Data Organization), NH CHIS (Comprehensive Health Care Information System) and VT VHCURES (Vermont Healthcare Claims Uniform Reporting and Evaluation System) Workgroup and serves on the CT Operations Advisory Committee for CONNIE which supports the CT Health Information Technology exchange. In 2021, Ms. Turney also served as a co-chair for the CQMC Digital Measures work group Committee and was named an Interoperability Hero by Direct Trust in the fall of 2021. . In June of 2022, Ms. Turney was elected to the FAST Steering Committee and was named to the Carequality Advisory Council.
Ms. Turney is member of the federal Health Information Technology Advisory Committee (HITAC) since its inception in 2018. The Health Information Technology Advisory Committee (HITAC) was established by the 21st Century Cures Act (P.L. 114-255) which sets forth standards for the formation and use of federal advisory committees. The HITAC makes recommendations to the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology policies, standards, implementation specifications, and certification criteria relating to the implementation of a health information technology infrastructure, nationally and locally, that advances the electronic access, exchange, and use of health information. Ms. Turney has participated in the following committees.
- Health IT Advisory Committee, Member
- Trusted Exchange Framework Task Force, Member
- Trusted Exchange Framework and Common Agreement Task Force, Member
- Interoperability Standards Priorities Task Force 2018, Member
- U.S. Core Data for Interoperability Task Force 2019, Member
- Information Blocking Task Force, Member
- Intersection of Clinical and Administrative Data Task Force, Co-Chair
- U.S. Core Data for Interoperability Task Force 2021, Member
- Public Health Data Systems Task Force 2021, Member
- EHR Reporting Program Task Force 2021, Member
- Named an Interoperability Hero by DirectTrust Q4 2021
- Electronic Prior Authorization RFI Task Force 2022, Co-Chair
- Public Health Data Task Force 2022, Member