The program provides $6 million via one cooperative agreement to the Northern Virginia Community College. The award will support the development, testing, and implementation of a mechanism to assess whether examinees have attained a certain set of health IT competencies.
The awardee will create this mechanism to assess basic competency for two types of individuals who are seeking to demonstrate their competency in one or more of six health IT professional roles requiring short-term training:
- Those trained through short-duration, non-degree health IT programs
- Those members of the workforce with relevant experience or other types of training.
The six health IT professional roles requiring short term training are:
- Practice workflow and information management redesign specialists
- Clinician/practitioner consultants
- Implementation support specialists
- Implementation managers
- Technical/software support staff