Several organizations offer training resources and courses in health information technology (IT) such as those listed below.
- The Healthcare Information Management Systems Society’s (HIMSS) eLearning Academy is a comprehensive source for high quality distance education. HIMSS also offers the Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems certification program. In addition, the HIMSS Education and Workforce Development section provides several workforce development resources.
- The American Health Information Management Association provides audio seminars, e-learning and e-learning assessments, continuing education quizzes, as well as several other resources for continuing education.
- The Health Resources and Services Administration lists several different health IT training opportunities, including training offered by the National Library of Medicine and the Marine Biology Laboratory .
- The American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) offers 10x10 courses , which utilize curricular content from existing informatics training programs and other AMIA educational initiatives with a special emphasis toward those programs with a proven track record in distance learning.
- Health IT Certification provides professional training and certification for those responsible for planning, selecting, implementing, and managing electronic health records (EHR) and other health IT and those engaged in the creation and management of Health Information Exchanges (HIE). You can obtain professional certification for health IT (CPHIT), EHRs (CPEHR), or HIE (CPHIE).
If you are interested in learning more about training programs offered through programs funded by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, see Does the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology offer any health information technology training?