What do I need to do if the privacy of my health information has been violated?

If you believe that a covered entity or business associate violated your health information privacy rights or committed another violation of the The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy or Security Rule, you have the right to file a complaint with your provider, health insurer, or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The easiest way to file a complaint is to go through the HHS Office for Civil Rights.

If you have questions about privacy, security, or HIPAA, visit the OCR privacy website. You can also search OCR’s HIPAA FAQ database.

Content last reviewed on January 15, 2013
Was this page helpful?