There are several resources specific to rural health IT and electronic health record (EHR) implementation. You can use the following resources to learn more about health IT and EHR implementation in rural communities.
Toolkits and Technical Assistance
- The Rural Assistance Center Rural Health Information Technology Toolkit is a rural-specific evaluation tool funded by the Office of Rural Health Policy.
- The Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research Health Information Technology Toolkit helps health care organizations plan for, implement, and evaluate health IT.
- The Stratis Health HIT Toolkit for Small and Rural Communities provides organizations with tools, tested in the Critical Access Hospital environment, to aid in planning for and making informed choices about health IT.
- The Rural Health Clinic Technical Assistance Series is a series of technical assistance calls produced by the Office of Rural Health Policy in conjunction with the National Association of Rural Health Clinics.
- Meaningful Use and Critical Access Hospitals: A Primer on HIT Adoption in the Rural Health Care Setting [PDF - 532 KB] is a short publication produced by the Health Services and Resources Administration with with several references to resources available to rural providers.
- The Federal Communications Commission’s Rural Health Care Program provides funding to eligible health care providers for telecommunications services, including broadband, necessary for the provision of health care.
- The Rural Utilities Service provides programs to finance rural America’s telecommunications infrastructure, including the Broadband Loan Program, the Distance Learning and Telemedicine Program, the Community Connect Grant Program, and the Telecommunications Infrastructure Loan Program.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Community Programs provide grants to assist in the development of essential community facilities in rural areas; funds can be used to construct, enlarge, or improve community facilities for health care.
- The National Rural Health Association published the Telehealth Technical Assistance Manual [PDF - 1.66 MB] to assist in the planning of telehealth and telemedicine projects for rural community health centers.
- The Health Resources and Services Administration’s Telehealth Module provides an overview of telehealth with an emphasis on its application in rural settings.