EHR Implementation Go-Live Checklist
To best plan for your electronic health record (EHR) implementation go-live date, use the EHR Implementation Go-Live Planning Checklist. You can use the go-live checklist as part of your EHR Implementation plan to identify any issues that need to be addressed before EHR implementation. The checklist will help eliminate some of the "gotcha's" that often occur on the first day of EHR implementation.
Planning for System EHR Implementation Go-Live
Make sure to cover all aspects of the EHR Implementation cycle and allocate enough time to become familiar with new tasks. Your organization should complete the following tasks before your EHR implementation go-live.1
- Test your EHR
- Begin training your staff in the EHR application and on new policies and procedures
- Ask your staff to create usernames and passwords
- Complete a "patient walkthrough" to simulate an entire patient visit
- Place signs in offices and hallways to notify patients the go-live is taking place and to request their patience through the process
For More Information
The following resources may also help your organization build your EHR implementation plan:
- The Center for Health IT at the American Academy of Family Physicians provides general implementation guidelines and a sample implementation timeline . The timeline suggests various activities to be completed at different times before your EHR implementation go-live date.
- Stratis Health produced a Go-Live Checklist to help providers go live. Stratis Health also produced a tool detailing various rollout and turnover strategies . The tool describes how an EHR system may be rolled out over time and suggests methods to transition users to the EHR.
- Health Resources and Services Administration. "How do you prepare for a system go-live?"