ONC/American Hospital Association (AHA), AHA Annual Survey Information Technology Supplement.
Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. 'Non-federal Acute Care Hospital Electronic Health Record Adoption,' Health IT Quick-Stat #47. https://www.healthit.gov/data/quickstats/non-federal-acute-care-hospital-electronic-health-record-adoption. September 2017.
In 2015 over 4 in 5 of all non-federal acute care hospitals had adopted a Basic EHR with clinician notes. 96% of non-federal acute care hospitals have possession of an EHR certified by HHS. This percentage has held through 2017.
See ONC Data Brief #35, Adoption of Electronic Health Record Systems among U.S. Non-Federal Acute Care Hospitals: 2008-2015, for further analysis.
- *Hospitals have adopted a basic electronic health record system with clinician notes when the main site of the hospital includes a computerized system with capabilities in the following areas: patient demographics, physician notes, nursing assessments, patient problem lists, electronic lists of medications taken by patients, discharge summaries, advanced directives, orders for medications, viewing laboratory results, and viewing radiology results. See the ONC website for a citable list.
- ^Hospitals have possession of a certified electronic health record system if the EHR technology meets the technological capability, functionality, and security requirements adopted by the Department of Health and Human Services. Possession means that the hospital has a legal agreement with the EHR vendor, but it is not equivalent to adoption. The ONC Certification Program began in 2011. Data exists beginning in 2011.
- Small: non-federal acute care hospital with less than 100 beds.
- Rural: non-federal acute care hospital in CBSA non-metropolitan areas.
- Critical Access: non-federal acute care rural hospital with less than 25 beds and 35 miles away from any other general or Critical Access hospital.
- Measures calculated based off a 55% response rate of all non-federal acute care hospitals nationwide.