Advising Providers in All Phases of Electronic Health Record Implementation
The ONC’s Regional Extension Centers (RECs), located in every region of the country, serve as a support and resource center to assist providers in EHR implementation and HealthIT needs. As trusted advisors, RECs “bridge the technology gap” by helping providers navigate the EHR adoption process from vendor selection and workflow analysis to implementation and meaningful use.
REC Highlights: Learn More about an REC Near You
Learn what RECs are doing to help providers adopt and implement health information technology to improve healthcare quality, efficiency, and safety.
Through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), ONC has established 62 RECs that assist primary care providers in the adoption and meaningful use of electronic health records. The REC program was designed to leverage local expertise to provide practical, customized support to meet the needs of local healthcare providers.
REC Practice Transformation Services
Discover more about how RECs are making an impact at state and local levels, supporting providers with new care and delivery models and preparing them for future stages of Meaningful Use.
RECs at a Glance
- As of February 2015,
- Over 157,000 providers are currently enrolled with a Regional Extension Center. Of these, more than 144,000 are now live on an EHR and more than 112,000 have demonstrated Meaningful Use
- 47% of PCPs nationwide are enrolled with an REC; 55% of rural PCPs are enrolled
- 92% of REC-enrolled providers are live on an EHR vs. 62% live on an EHR in the general provider population*
- 1,403 CAHs/RHs are enrolled with an REC. Of these, 84% have demonstrated Meaningful Use
- RECs are part of eight working groups on emerging business lines in support of practice transformation including: privacy and security, accountable care organizations, patient centered medical home, health information exchange, and patient engagement
- Learn More about the Regional Extension Centers at The Health IT Dashboard REC Page
*Based on ONC CRM data as of February 4th, 2015 and 2012 SK&A survey data.