The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) is at the forefront of the administration’s health IT efforts and is a resource to the entire health system to support the adoption of health information technology and the promotion of nationwide health information exchange to improve health care. ONC is organizationally located within the Office of the Secretary for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
ONC is the principal federal entity charged with coordination of nationwide efforts to implement and use the most advanced health information technology and the electronic exchange of health information. The position of National Coordinator was created in 2004, through an Executive Order, and legislatively mandated in the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act) of 2009.
- Office of the National Coordinator
- Office of the Cheif Privacy Officer
- Office of the Cheif Operating Officer
- Office of the Cheif Scientist
- Office of Standards and Technology
- Office of Care Transformation
- Office of Clinical Quality and Safety
- Office of Policy
- Office of Programs
- Office of Planning, Evaluation, and Analysis
- Office of Public Affairs and Communications