State health departments often face challenges in supporting comprehensive person-centered case management, particularly for individuals with developmental disabilities. Without an automated solution to manage and monitor healthcare services, health departments must rely on manually compiled information and paper-based, labor intensive processes, using ad hoc reports generated from various systems and data sources. These limitations result in shortcomings and inefficiencies for citizens and administrators.
Through this project, the Missouri Department of Mental Health (MDMH) is working to implement a statewide case management system to improve the efficacy of waiver programs for individuals with developmental disabilities, efficiency and access of services provided to patients, program transparency and reporting capabilities, and data exchange and effective use of standardized data across stakeholders and partners.
This project aims to improve the capture, access, and use of structured, electronic data and link health and case management systems to support person-centered planning. MDMH will integrate information across service delivery models, including home and community-based services (HCBS) that provide health and human services while advancing value-based payment (VBP) arrangements for individuals with developmental disabilities. The project team will develop a HCBS VBP Roadmap to inform state and community stakeholders on future strategic, technical, and data integration projects.
This project addresses the Leading Edge Acceleration Projects (LEAP) in Health Information Technology (Health IT) fiscal year 2020 special area of interest 3: Integrating Health Care and Human Services Data to Support Improved Outcomes.
This project began in 2020 and will end in 2022.
The goals of this project are to:
- Improve electronic data sharing among Missouri healthcare providers, Missouri Regional Offices, and HCBS providers through adoption of the electronic Long-Term Services and Supports (eLTSS) standard.
- Test the eLTSS standard across HCBS providers and supporting HCBS technology systems.
- Develop and share best practices and lessons learned with the stakeholders supporting HCBS VBP models.
- Build capacity in Missouri for adopting the U.S. Core Data for Interoperability (USCDI) in healthcare and human services programs.
- Develop a HCBS VBP Roadmap to build a reusable technical infrastructure for structured person-centered planning data capture and exchange.