Providers Have Difficulty with Patient Reminders
Meaningful Use requires that providers send reminders to patients for preventive and follow-up care using methods preferred by patients. In Stage 1, the Patient Reminders Menu Measure [PDF - 162 KB] focuses on patients who are aged 65 or older and 5 or younger. In Stage 2, the Preventative Care Core Measure [PDF - 558 KB] extends patient reminders to all patients. Some providers have experienced trouble meeting this requirement for a variety of reasons: need for training, work flow adoption, and vendor issues.
- Educate all staff about what patient reminders involve
- Determine how the EHR system sends patient reminders
Be familiar with the ways the EHR system can be configured to send reminders, and how to input data about patient preferences.
- Decide on appropriate reminders for the practice
In Stage 1, decide upon reminders needed for pediatric patients under the age of 5 and adult patients 65 and older.
- Document how patients want reminders sent to them
- Work with EHR vendor to use system to identify patients who need reminders
- Establish workflow with assigned responsibilities