What are the benefits of working with a Regional Extension Center?
Regional Extension Centers (RECs) are equipped with the personnel and resources to support and advise eligible providers in all phases of the electronic health record (EHR) implementation cycle. Their broad, practical health IT expertise will help you implement an EHR system and achieve meaningful use.
Benefits of Working with Your Local Regional Extension Center
This national network of RECs acts as a two-way pipeline, connecting providers to local and federal resources on health IT, EHR implementation, and meaningful use. REC support is geared to organization's specific needs and goes beyond health IT mechanics, helping your organization:
- Identify financial resources, such as grant opportunities and negotiated preferred interest rates
- Easily navigate the EHR vendor marketplace through the REC’s system-neutral counsel or qualified/preferred vendor lists
- Implement and use EHRs in a meaningful way so that patient information is secure, data is available when and where you need it, and care is coordinated across provider teams
- Achieve meaningful use objectives, maximize incentives and minimize financial and administrative burdens associated with EHR implementation
- Encourage employees to embrace the changes associated with EHR implementation
- Build relationships with vendors, state agencies, Health Information Exchange coordinators and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Prepare for future health care initiatives, such as pay for performance and Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) initiatives
Contact Your Local Regional Extension Center
RECs are located in every region of the country to help health care providers select, implement, and become adept and meaningful users of electronic health records (EHRs). Contact your local REC to find out if you are eligible for free or reduced-price local EHR implementation support.
For More Information
For more information about RECs and how RECs can help you achieve meaningful use, see the following resources.