I am interested in a career in health information technology. Where can I learn more about health IT jobs?
Join the Health IT Workforce
In February 2009, Congress passed the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act to spur the growth of electronic health records (EHRs). Across the United States, students are enrolled in health IT workforce programs to learn about health IT and support the nationwide transition to EHRs. You can join the health IT workforce – start with the following resources.
- The Healthcare Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS) developed a health IT jobs board . This website offers job seekers the opportunity to post their resumes and search for jobs that will match their emerging skill set. Potential employers can access a database of qualified employees who have graduated from the Health IT Workforce Development Program. The HIMSS Education and Workforce Development section provides several health IT career resources.
- The American Health Information Management Association offers information about health IT careers, the health IT workforce, leadership development, and student recruitment.
- Career One Stop , My Next Move , and Registered Apprenticeship Program were all created by the United States Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration (ETA) to connect job seekers with employers. ETA also created an EHR Competency Model as a resource to support health IT workforce development efforts.
- The Health Resources and Services Administration’s (HRSA) Careers in Health Information section lists potential career opportunities for individuals with education, training, and experience in health IT. HRSA also provides a list of six specific health IT workforce roles and a collection of health IT training opportunities and requirements.
- The U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics provides information about the occupational outlook for medical records and health information technicians.
For More Information
For more information about health IT training opportunities and the Health IT Workforce Development Program, see the following resources.