How will using electronic health records help me meet my business goals?
Using electronic health records (EHRs) can help your organization build a sustainable medical practice. While EHRs do require investments for technology and training, a fully functional EHR system can lead to long-term savings in a variety of areas and better business. Studies have shown EHRs to generate a positive return on investment.1-3 Although the evidence is largely anecdotal at this point, EHR-enabled organizations report several benefits of electronic health records:
- Reduced Transcription Costs: If your organization dictates notes, you can generate savings by limiting or eliminating transcription costs.4
- Increased Productivity & Efficiency: Time savings with easier centralized chart management, condition-specific queries, electronic reception of lab results, and other shortcuts will help your organization see more patients and generate more revenue.5
- Improved Medical Practice Management: EHR-enabled medical practice management systems can link appointments directly to progress notes, automate coding procedures, manage claims, and do much more to help your organization run smoothly and efficiently.
- Enhanced Communication: With an EHR, your organization will be able to communicate more efficiently with patients, clinicians, labs, and health plans.
Providers Like You
To learn about providers like you who are leveraging the benefits of electronic health records to improve efficiency and meet business goals, see the following case studies, provider testimonials, and provider profiles.
- Palm Beach Obstetrics & Gynecology PA
- Dr. Karen Smith
- Dr. Domingo Aviado
- Patient Portal Implementation Leads to Better Messaging, Greater Efficiency, and Improved Patient Engagement at Desert Ridge Family Physicians
- Dr. Scott Webb’s EHR Story: Efficiency and Patient Interaction
- Profile: KC Arnold, Nurse Practitioner
Your Local Regional Extension Center Can Help
Your local Regional Extension Center (REC) can help you analyze and optimize your organization’s workflows so you can leverage your EHR to meet your business goals. RECs are located in every region of the country to help health care providers select, implement, and become adept and meaningful users of EHRs. Contact your local REC to find out if you are eligible for free or reduced-price support.
For More Information
For more information about the benefits of electronic health records and how EHRs will help your organization meet your business goals, see the following resources.
- Wang SJ, Middleton B, Prosser LA, Bardon CG, Spurr CD, Carchidi PJ, Kittler AF, Goldszer RC, Fairchild DG, Sussman AJ, Kuperman GJ, Bates DW. “A cost-benefit analysis of electronic medical records in primary care.” Am J Med. 2003.
- Grieger DL, Cohen SH, Krusch DA. “A pilot study to document the return on investment for implementing an ambulatory electronic health record at an academic medical center.” J Am Coll Surg. 2007.
- 6. Miller RH, West C, Brown TM, Sim I, Ganchoff C. “The Value of Electronic Health Records in Solo or Small Group Practices.” Health Affairs. 2005.
- Adler KG. “Why It’s Time to Purchase an Electronic Health Record System.” Fam Pract Manag. 2004
- Buntin MB, Burke MF, Hoaglin MC, Blumenthal D. “The Benefits Of Health Information Technology: A Review Of The Recent Literature Shows Predominantly Positive Results.” Health Affairs. 2011.