Implementation Tips for the Summary of Care Objective
Meaningful Use Stage 2 Summary of Care core objective 15 is related to transitions of care. The objective states that an Eligible Professional (EP) who transitions their patient to another setting of care or provider of care or refers their patient to another provider of care provides a summary care record for each transition of care or referral. There are three separate measures for the Stage 2 objective.
Measure 1: The EP who transitions or refers their patient to another setting of care or provider of care provides a summary of care record for more than 50 percent of transitions of care and referrals (paper or electronic transmission).
Measure 2: The EP who transitions or refers their patient to another setting of care or provider of care provides a summary of care record for more than 10 percent of such transitions and referrals either (a) electronically transmitted using CEHRT to a recipient or (b) where the recipient receives the summary of care record via exchange facilitated by an organization that is an eHealth Exchange participant or in a manner that is consistent with the governance mechanism ONC establishes for the nationwide health information network. eHealth Exchange was formally referred to as NwHIN in the Final Rule.
The eligible professional must satisfy one of the two following criteria:
- Conducts one or more successful electronic exchanges of a summary of care document, which is counted in "measure 2" (for eligible hospitals and CAHs the measure at §495.6(l)(11)(ii)(B)) with a recipient who has EHR technology that was designed by a different EHR technology developer than the sender's EHR technology certified to 45 CFR 170.314(b)(2); or
- Conducts one or more successful tests with the CMS designated test EHR during the EHR reporting period. Test conducted at the CMS/NIST EHR Randomizer.
This tip sheet is designed to support eligible professionals in their planning and implementation as they prepare to attest for Meaningful Use and successfully meet these measures. The steps include:
- 1. Creation of a Project Team
- 2. Creation of a Project Plan
- 3. Implementing 2014 Certified EHR Technology
- 4. Assessment of Referral Patterns
- 5. Transition/Referral Workflow Analysis
- 6. Internal Communications Plan
- 7. External Communications Plan
- 8. Targeted Launch & Testing
- 9. Go-Live
- 10. Evaluation