Data Segmentation Gallery
Learn more about data segmentation and the Data Segmentation for Privacy (DS4P) Initiative by watching the videos below or clicking on the links for additional resources.
Learn more about how advances in data segmentation technology are giving you a more detailed choice as to how your electronic health information is shared.
Watch a five-minute clip of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)/Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) DS4P pilot demonstration, shown at the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) 2013 Interoperability Showcase.
See the full 14-minute demonstration of the VA/SAMHSA DS4P pilot from HIMSS 2013.
View an early demonstration of Software and Technology Vendors’ Association (SATVA) use cases at the 24 September 2012 DS4P Workgroup.
Watch a demonstration of the Jericho Systems/University of Texas (UT) at Austin DS4P pilot.
Integrating the HL7 Healthcare Privacy and Security Classification System (HCS) with Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR)
View a demonstration of how the Health Level 7 (HL7) International Healthcare Privacy and Security Classification System (HCS) Security Labels work with Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR).
See the list below for resources that provide further insight.
- DS4P Wiki – This central site for the DS4P Initiative houses information such as the DS4P charter, membership roster, outcome documents, and pilot details.
- Data Segmentation Past Meetings Wiki Page – All DS4P meeting materials (PowerPoint files) and Vimeo videos are available here. The Final DS4P All Hands Meeting (5 May 2014) may be of particular interest.
- DS4P Pilot Update to the Health Information Technology Standards Committee (HITSC) Privacy and Security Tiger Team (10 Mar 14) – From this meeting site, you can download the PowerPoint presentation, read the meeting’s transcript, or listen to an audio recording.
- DS4P Presentation to the HITSC Privacy and Security Tiger Team (28 Apr 14) – From this meeting site, you can download the PowerPoint presentation, read the meeting’s transcript, or listen to an audio recording.
- Segmenting Data Privacy – Published in the February 2013 Journal of AHIMA, this article details the DS4P Initiative.
- Protecting High-Stakes PHI [Protected Health Information] – This Journal of AHIMA article from April 2014 summarizes the data segmentation technical work being addressed by Integrating the Healthcare Enterprise (IHE) and HL7 and expounds on the bright future for data segmentation. (Note: AHIMA membership is required to view the article online.)
- Behavioral Health Data Exchange (BHDE) Consortium Final Report [PDF - 4 MB] – The final report documents BHDE’s successful pilot to enable providers to exchange behavioral health data electronically across state lines.
- Health Information Technology – This section of HealthIT.gov’s Meaningful Consent pages provides further information about the use of technology to enable patient consent.
- 42 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 2 [PDF - 13.2 MB] – This document addresses the confidentiality of alcohol and drug abuse patient records.
- Health Information Privacy Law and Policy – This section of HealthIT.gov’s Meaningful Consent pages provides links to a number of legal resources. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Federal Law, Regulation, Guidance, and Policy,” then view the “Sensitive Health Information” section.
The Enabling Privacy web pages are provided for informational purposes only and related only to the specific Data Segmentation project and its related pilots referenced herein. This information is not intended to be an exhaustive or definitive source on data segmentation, nor should the information contained herein be construed as legal advice.