Activity performed for or on a patient as part of the provision of care.
Applicable Vocabulary Standard(s)
- Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS)
- Current Procedural Terminology, Fourth Edition (CPT-4)
- Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine Clinical Terms (SNOMED CT®) U.S. Edition, September 2019 Release
- USCDI v1 - International Classification of Diseases ICD-10-PCS 2020
Optional for technology which records dental procedures:
- Code on Dental Procedures and Nomenclature (CDT), maintained and distributed by the American Dental Association, for dental services.
Submitted by Lantana Consul… on 2022-04-29
Lantana Consulting Group CommentThe Procedures data class is a broad category that captures medical and dental procedures and interventions that impact the physical person as captured by CDT, CPT, ICD-10-PCS and includes SDOH interventions and Reason for Referral. We recommend clarifying the scope of the Procedures data class and considering the creation of an SDOH Data Class. Another gap in USCDI that is closely related to a Referral is a Transition of Care Summary. ONC’s 360X Project is testing the exchange of both referrals and a transition summary. Lantana recommends including both referrals and transition summaries under a Care and Treatment Plan data class.