- The 2015 Edition smoking status criterion (§ 170.315(a)(11)) only applies to status of use for smoked tobacco. It does not require a terminology standard.
- There are limitations in SNOMED CT U.S. Edition for this interoperability need, which include, but not limited to: not being able to capture severity of dependency, level of use, quit attempts, lifetime exposure, and use of e-Cigarettes.
- LOINC includes codes that support recording smoking status in the CDC’s preferred (and sometimes required) responses (e.g. Tobacco smoking status NHIS[76691-5]) and other kinds of observations (e.g. Have you smoked at least 100 cigarettes in your entire life [PhenX] [63581-3] or How old were you when you first started smoking cigarettes every day [PhenX] [63609-2].
- For more information about observations and observation values, see Appendix III for an informational resource developed by the Health IT Standards Committee.
- Value Set: Current Smoking Status urn:oid:2.16.840.1.1138220.127.116.11.38
- SNOMED CT US Edition Findings:
- Current every day smoker: 449868002
- Current some day smoker: 428041000124106
- Former smoker: 8517006
- Never smoker: 266919005
- Smoker, current status unknown: 77176002
- Unknown if ever smoked: 266927001
- Heavy tobacco smoker: 428071000124103
- Light tobacco smoker: 428061000124105
- User of smokeless tobacco: 713914004
- Smokeless tobacco non-user: 451381000124107
- Former smokeless tobacco user: 456711000124105
- Chews tobacco : 81703003
- Snuff user: 228494002
- User of moist powdered tobacco: 228504007
- No known exposure to tobacco smoke: 711563001
- LOINC Observation Codes:
- Date quit tobacco smoking: 74010-0
- Date quit smokeless tobacco: 88030-2
- Tobacco smoking status NHIS: 72166-2
- Have you smoked at least 100 cigarettes in your entire life: 63581-3
- How old were you when you first started smoking cigarettes every day: 63609-2