- The 2015 Edition smoking status criterion (§ 170.315(a)(11)) only applies to status of use for smoked tobacco. It does not require a terminology standard.
- There are limitations in SNOMED CT® for this interoperability need, which include, but not limited to: not being able to capture severity of dependency, level of use, quit attempts, lifetime exposure, and use of e-Cigarettes.
- LOINC® includes codes that support recording smoking status in the CDC’s preferred (and sometimes required) responses (e.g. Tobacco smoking status NHIS[76691-5]) and other kinds of observations (e.g. Have you smoked at least 100 cigarettes in your entire life [PhenX] [63581-3] or How old were you when you first started smoking cigarettes every day [PhenX] [63609-2].
- See LOINC projects in the Interoperability Proving Ground.
- For more information about observations and observation values, see Appendix III for an informational resource developed by the Health IT Standards Committee.
- 'Tobacco smoking status NHIS' LOINC® 72166-2
- Current Smoking Status urn:oid:2.16.840.1.1138184.108.40.206.38
- The following smoking status value set of SNOMED CT® codes, using the preferred concept term, is only required in the context of using the Common Clinical Data Set (CCDS):
- Current every day smoker. 449868002
- Current some day smoker. 428041000124106
- Former smoker. 8517006
- Never smoker. 266919005
- Smoker, current status unknown. 77176002
- Unknown if ever smoked. 266927001
- Heavy tobacco smoker. 428071000124103
- Light tobacco smoker. 428061000124105
- Additional tobacco-related codes:
- Date quit tobacco smoking: LOINC 74010-0
- Date quit smokeless tobacco: LOINC 88030-2
- User of smokeless tobacco (finding): SNOMED CT® 713914004
- Smokeless tobacco non-user (finding): SNOMED CT® 451381000124107
- Former smokeless tobacco user (finding): SNOMED-CT® 456711000124105
- Chews tobacco (finding): SNOMED-CT® 81703003
- Snuff user (finding): SNOMED-CT® 228494002
- User of moist powdered tobacco (finding): SNOMED-CT® 228504007
- No known exposure to tobacco smoke (finding): SNOMED-CT® 711563001