- RxNorm is often used for the exchange of information; however, it may not be available for export and import by end users.
- RxNorm is a terminology built on and derived from other terminologies which represent various elements within RxNorm, including dose form and units of measure. RxNorm reflects and preserves the meanings, drug names, attributes, and relationships from its sources.
- The use of NDC in conjunction with RxNorm can help minimize gaps in representing medications, including compounded products, over -the-counter medications, and herbals.
- Note that medications include over-the-counter, botanicals, herbal supplements need to be considered in the management of medications and conditions for which they are used. Not all of these are well-represented using the standards indicated above.
- Immunizations are not considered medications for this interoperability need.
- Grouping Value Set: Medication Clinical Drug 2.16.840.1.113718.104.22.1680.4
- Medication Clinical General Drug (2.16.840.1.113822.214.171.124.80.17)
- Medication Clinical Brand-specific Drug (2.16.840.1.1137126.96.36.1990.5) (RxNorm).
- Grouping Value Set: Clinical Substance 2.16.840.1.1137188.8.131.520.2
- Medication Clinical Drug (2.16.840.1.1137184.108.40.2060.4) (RxNorm )
- Unique Ingredient Identifier - Complete Set (2.16.840.1.1138220.127.116.11.80.20) (UNII)