- An article in JAMIA provides helpful information for planning and implementing sexual orientation and gender identity data collection in electronic health records.
- For more information about observations and observation values, see Appendix III for an informational resource developed by the Health IT Standards Committee.
- LOINC code: 76690-7 Sexual orientation
- ONC’s 2015 Edition certification requirements reference the following value set for sexual orientation. Codes from (i) through (iii) are SNOMED CT U.S. Edition and (iv) through (vi) are from HL7 Version 3:
- (i) Lesbian, gay or homosexual.38628009
- (ii) Straight or heterosexual. 20430005
- (iii) Bisexual. 42035005
- (iv) Something else, please describe.nullFlavor OTH
- (v) Don’t know. nullFlavor UNK
- (vi) Choose not to disclose. nullFlavor ASKU
- SNOMED CT U.S. Edition code: Sexually attracted to neither male nor female sex 765288000 (Not required in ONC's 2015 Edition certification requirements)