- Laboratory test and observation work in conjunction with values or results which can be answered numerically or categorically. If the value/result/answer to a laboratory test and observation is categorical that answer should be represented with the SNOMED CT® terminology.
- A single laboratory test with a single result will have the same LOINC® code for the order and the result or may have a more specific code in the result (for example if the order code was method less or did not declare the system property). A panel order will have an order LOINC® code and multiple result LOINC® terms for each result in the panel.
- Guidance is available for using SNOMED CT® and LOINC® together.
- LOINC code availability is contingent on assignment by Regenstrief.
- For more information about representing laboratory tests as a procedure, see the Representing Medical Procedures page.
- See LOINC projects in the Interoperability Proving Ground.
- For more information about observations and observation values, see Appendix III for an informational resource developed by the Health IT Standards Committee.