- The National Emergency Medical Services Information System (NEMSIS) administered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Office of Emergency Medical Services provides a universal standard for the collection and transmission of emergency medical services (EMS) operations and patient care data. Using NEMSIS-compliant electronic patient care record (ePCR) software products, data are collected by EMS practitioners at the point of care and includes information on the EMS system response, scene characteristics, patient demographics, patient condition, medical treatment provided, transport decision, patient and incident disposition and EMS system times (e.g., response time, scene time, transport time). NEMSIS includes the National EMS Database which accepts EMS data voluntarily submitted by U.S. States and Territories. Using NEMSIS-compliant ePCR software products, local EMS systems collect a national set of data elements for submission to the National EMS Database through their respective state. Local EMS systems and states have the option to collect additional NEMSIS data elements to meet local and state needs. The NEMSIS standard follows a 5-year revisioning cycle. The two most recent NEMSIS standard versions (V3.4.0 and 3.5.0 as of January 2021) are available for ePCR software product compliance testing and submission to the National EMS Database. NEMSIS standard version 3.5.0 was released in 2019. NEMSIS Version 3 standards (i.e., V3.4.0, and V3.5.0) include integration of several HL7® data standards, such as LOINC®, RxNorm, and ICD-10-CM. NEMSIS standard versions V3.4.0 and V3.5.0 are HL7 compliant and ANSI accredited.
- NEMSIS uses Extensible Markup Language (XML) to move data. States and software companies create products that are used to send and receive EMS data in the proper XML format from agencies to states, then on to the National EMS Database. More information about NEMSIS is available at https://nemsis.org/technical-resources/.
- Mapping and translation resources are available for mapping or translating older versions of the NEMSIS dataset to newer versions of the dataset.
- CPT 99281 - 99285: patient evaluation, examination, and medical decision making for emergency department services
- CPT 99288: direction of emergency care to EMS personnel by a physician or other qualified health care professional