What is a patient portal?
A patient portal is a secure online website that gives patients convenient 24-hour access to personal health information from anywhere with an Internet connection. Using a secure username and password, patients can view health information such as:
- Recent doctor visits
- Discharge summaries
- Lab results
Some patient portals also allow patients to:
- Exchange secure e-mail with their health care teams
- Request prescription refills
- Schedule non-urgent appointments
- Check benefits and coverage
- Update contact information
- Make payments
- Download and complete forms
- View educational materials
With patient portal implementation, your organization can enhance patient-provider communication, empower patients, support care between visits, and, most importantly, improve patient outcomes.
Providers Like You
To learn about providers like you who are using patient portals to engage patients and improve patient outcomes, see the following provider stories.
- Patient Portal Benefits Patient Care and Provider Workflow
- Patient Portal Increases Communication Between Patients and Providers
- Patient Portal Implementation Improves Quality of Patient Care and Strengthens Preventive Care
- Viewing Patients as Partners: Patient Portal Implementation and Adoption
- Patient Portal Implementation Leads to Better Messaging, Greater Efficiency, and Improved Patient Engagement at Desert Ridge Family Physicians
For More Information
For more information on patient portals, patient portal implementation, and how you can use patient portals to improve patient outcomes, see the following resources.