Meaningful Use Stage 2
The 2014 Edition S&CC final rule completes the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology’s (ONC) second full rulemaking cycle to adopt standards, implementation specifications, and certification criteria for EHR technology. This final rule complements the newly released Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) final rule which establishes Stage 2 of the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs, updates Stage 1, and includes other program modifications.
The 2014 Edition S&CC final rule reflects ONC’s commitment to reduce regulatory burden; promote patient safety and patient engagement; enhance EHR technology’s interoperability, electronic health information exchange capacity, public health reporting, and security; enable clinical quality measure data capture, calculation, and electronic submission to CMS or states; and introduce greater transparency and efficiency to the certification process.
ONC Final Rule
From a standards and certification criteria perspective, this interim final rule with comment replaces the Data Element Catalog (DEC) standard and the Quality Reporting Document Architecture (QRDA) Category III standard ONC adopted in the final rule published on September 4, 2012 in the Federal Register with updated versions of those standards.
- ONC Fact Sheet: 2014 Edition Standards & Certification Criteria (S&CC) Final Rule [PDF - 569 KB]
- HHS Press Release
- Certification Guidance for EHR Technology Developers Serving Health Care Providers Ineligible for Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Payments [PDF - 411 KB] – This guidance is meant to serve as a building block for federal agencies and stakeholders to use as they work with different communities to achieve interoperable electronic health information exchange. It identifies the 2014 Edition EHR certification criteria from the ONC HIT Certification Program that specifically focus on interoperability – to enable electronic health information to be both exchanged and subsequently used by recipients. It identifies EHR certification criteria that can open critical communication lines between eligible and ineligible health care providers in order to support broad health care goals, such as care coordination and reduced hospital readmissions.
- Meaningful Use Education Module: Transitions of Care – This education module covers “transitions of care” from both a meaningful use and EHR technology certification perspective. It walks you through the requirements for the meaningful use “transitions of care” objective and measures as well as their relationship to EHR technology certification.
- Stage 1 Reference Grid: Meaningful Stage 1 (from a 2014 perspective) and correlated 2014 Edition EHR certification criteria [DOCX - 155 KB]* [PDF - 1.38 MB]
- Stage 2 Reference Grid: Meaningful Stage 2 and correlated 2014 Edition EHR certification criteria [DOCX - 148 KB]* [PDF - 465 KB]
- 2014 Edition EHR Certification Criteria Required to Satisfy the Base EHR Definition [PDF - 299 KB]
- Equivalency Table [PDF - 239 KB]
- Do you have EHR Technology that meets the new Certified EHR Technology definition for Meaningful Use Stage 1? [PDF - 1.2 MB]
- Do you have EHR Technology that meets the new Certified EHR Technology definition for Meaningful Use Stage 2? [PDF - 1.1 MB]
- 2014 Edition EHR Certification Criteria Mapped to the 2014 CEHRT Definition for EPs Seeking to Achieve MU Stage 1 in and after CY 2014 [PDF - 1.7 MB]
- 2014 Edition EHR Certification Criteria Required to Satisfy the Complete EHR Definition [PDF - 598 KB]
- How to Play by the (Final) Rules: An Overview of Meaningful Use Stage 2 and the Standards and Certification Criteria Final Rules: Webinar recording and presentation materials
- Health IT Buzz Blog post
CMS Final Rule
- Stage 2 Overview Tipsheet [PDF - 680 KB]
- Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 Comparison Table for Eligible Professionals [PDF - 250 KB]
- Stage 1 vs. Stage 2 Comparison Table for Eligible Hospitals and CAHs [PDF - 248 KB]
- Stage 1 Changes Tipsheet [PDF - 197 KB]
- 2014 Clinical Quality Measures Tipsheet [PDF - 587 KB]
- Payment Adjustments & Hardship Exceptions Tipsheet for Eligible Hospitals and CAHs [PDF - 175 KB]
- Payment Adjustments & Hardship Exceptions Tipsheet for Eligible Professionals [PDF - 318 KB]
- FAQs related to Changes in Medicaid Patient Volume Calculation
*Persons using assistive technology may not be able to fully access information in this file. For assistance, contact ONC at firstname.lastname@example.org.