Meaningful Use Resources
Meaningful Use Resources to Get Started
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) has resources in place to help health care providers make informed decisions about adopting and meaningfully using EHRs.
- The Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs website contains educational resources and fact sheets with information to help eligible professionals and hospitals adopt, implement, and upgrade certified EHR technology and demonstrate meaningful use.
- Sixty-two Regional Extension Centers across the nation are prepared to offer customized, on-the-ground assistance, especially to small practice primary care physicians and small hospitals.
- Beacon Communities are identifying and sharing best practices for using EHRs to achieve health care quality improvements.
- The State Health Information Exchange Program and Nationwide Health Information Network provide tools, funding, and support for building a national network for health information exchange.
Registration for Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs
- HHS Press Release: Surveys Show Significant Proportions of Hospitals and Doctors Already Plan to Adopt Electronic Health Records and Qualify for Federal Incentive Payments
- Recent Survey Findings: Important Facts about EHR Adoption and the EHR Incentive Programs [PDF – 101 KB]
- CMS Press Release: EHR Incentive Programs Registration Starts Jan 3, 2011
- Health IT Buzz Blog: ONC/CMS Meaningful Use Resources
- Fact Sheet: Becoming a Meaningful User of EHRs [PDF – 239 KB]
- Fact Sheet: Federal Resources to Help Rural Providers Achieve Meaningful Use [PDF –243 KB]
- Overview: Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs
- Path to Payment: Steps to Take to Receive Incentive Payments
- Flow Chart: Determine Eligibility for EHR Incentive Programs [PDF – 617 KB]
- Registration Website: CMS EHR Incentive Programs
- How to Register: Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs
- Specification Sheets: Meaningful Use [PDF – 2.11 MB]
- Milestone Timeline: EHR Incentive Programs [PDF – 422 KB]
- Educational Materials: EHR Incentive Programs
- Fact Sheet: Final Regulations Defining Meaningful Use and Setting Standards for EHR Incentive Programs
- Fact Sheet: Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
- Fact Sheet: Medicare EHR Incentive Program
- Dr. Blumenthal Video: Registration Process Now Open
- CMS Video: Basics - EHR Incentive Programs
- Tip Sheet: Medicare Hospitals [PDF – 517 KB]
- Tip Sheet: Critical Access Hospitals (CAH) [PDF – 473 KB]
- Tip Sheet: Medicaid Hospitals [PDF – 405 KB]
Talking to Your Patients about EHRs
- Brochure: What Patients Need to Know about EHRs [PDF – 551 KB]
- Talking to Your Patients about EHRs [PDF – 179 KB]
- Fact Sheet: About PHRS [PDF – 901 KB]
- Fact Sheet: Advancing the Future of Health Care with EHRs: A Look at ONC's HITECH Programs [PDF – 233 KB]
Benefits of EHRs
- Get the Facts About Using EHRs to Improve Health Care in Your Practice and Community [PDF – 274 KB]
- Electronic Health Records: Advancing America’s Health Care [PDF – 271 KB]
Meaningful Use Final Rule
- Comments Sought on Potential Stage 2 Meaningful Use Objectives [PDF – 187 KB] - Proposed Meaningful Use Objectives and Measures for Stages 2 and 3 are now available.
- Final Rule: Meaningful Use [PDF – 13.9 MB] [text]
- HHS Press Release: Meaningful Use Final Rule
- Watch the Press Conference: Meaningful Use Final Rule
- Press Conference: Secretary Sebelius' Remarks
- Fact Sheet: Electronic Health Records At-a-Glance
- Fact Sheet: Meaningful User of Certified Electronic Health Records (EHR) Technology
- Frequently Asked Questions: CMS/Meaningful Use
- Presentation: Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs [PDF – 13.9 MB]
- Reference Grids for Meaningful Use or Standards and Certification Criteria Final Rules