Beacon Community Program’s 2nd Anniversary: America’s Most Wired Communities Light the Way
Every day, technology is improving how we do business, how we stay in touch and how we take better care of our health. Technology is modernizing our world. The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act was the down payment to accelerate the use of technology as the foundation for the broader health care improvement revolution, and two years later we are realizing the rewards of the initial investment. Leaders in communities across the country understood that innovative technology was critical to success in a transformed payment environment, and the Beacon Communities—America’s most wired communities—are lighting the way.
Second Anniversary of the Beacon Community Program
This month, we celebrate the second anniversary of the Beacon Community Program by showcasing some of the progress and exciting lessons learned across the program. Throughout the month of May, be on the lookout for activities, announcements, events, and webinars taking place across the country. Activities will range from in-person events hosted by our partners, participation in national conferences, and online webinars and social media activities (#Beacon2yr).
Here are a few topics we will feature:
- Collaboration between Beacon Communities and electronic health record vendors
- Innovation in Southeast Minnesota on electronic capture of patient reported outcomes
- IT-enabled patient center medical home models for the safety net in New Orleans
These activities will highlight successes and show real health care improvements for patients, providers, and community members like you.
Beacon Community Program: Areas of Focus
Each of the 17 communities in the Beacon Community Program, has its own unique population and regional context, and is actively pursuing the following areas of focus:
- Build and Strengthen Health Information Technology: Technology is the foundation for sustainable health care quality and efficiency
- Improve Care: Technology brings tools and information to the right people at the right time to improve health care and reduce costs
- Test Innovation: Beacons are using innovative, evidence-generating approaches to improve patient and community-centered care
Contact Christina Markle at email@example.com for more information about Beacon Community Program anniversary activities and announcements, or for more information about particular communities or topics/issues of interest.
For More Information
- Beacon Community Program
- Beacon Community Programs: Lessons Learned
- Videos on the Beacon Communities
We Want to Hear From You
ONC is interested in your feedback. Use the comment area below to share your thoughts on this blog post.